Stronger Communities Program grants announced
Posted November 14, 2019
Federal Member for Mayo Rebekha Sharkie has welcomed the announcement of the first eight of 20 grants selected for the electorate under the Stronger Communities Program.
The successful applicants announced in Mayo to date include;
- The Aldinga Bay Bowling Club which received $8,380 for new mowing equipment.
- The Mylor Citizens Friendship Club which received $8,500 to install airconditioning.
- The Callington Recreation Park which received $6685 to purchase an electronic scoreboard for football and cricket matches.
- The Willunga Bowling Club which received $5,696 for shade structures.
- The Aldinga Bay Surf Life Saving Club which received $5542 to set up a “pop-up kitchen” for the summer while their storm-damaged clubrooms are being replaced.
- The Yankalilla Hockey Club which received $4,000 to install solar panels.
- The Parawa Progress Association which received $2,637 to install airconditioning.
- The Houghton Districts Football Club which received $2,500 to upgrade canteen facilities.
“These grants make an enormous difference to the capacity of our clubs and community groups to take on much needed projects,” Rebekha said.
“I congratulate all the groups who made applications to this round of the Stronger Communities Program.
“In order to be impartial, I established an independent committee to help me select the successful 20 applicants.
“My committee was very impressed with the time and effort put into the applications and the focus the projects had on benefitting the wider community.
“These grants are an exciting opportunity to make a real difference in our region and help communities with practical projects such as shade structures, mowing equipment and airconditioning.”
Round 5 of the Stronger Communities Program provided $22.65 million to share among 151 electorates.
Eligible groups were able to apply for grants between $2,500 and $20,000 from the Federal Government with a requirement to match the project funds with their own finances or in-kind support.
The remaining 12 grants will be announced in the coming months.