$17M fruit fly package welcome news for SA
Posted November 19, 2018
Federal Member for Mayo Rebekha Sharkie has welcomed the Government’s announcement of a $17 million investment into fruit fly management across Australia.
Today’s announcement by Agriculture Minister David Littleproud promises a “high-tech” management package, a smart trap trial and new technology to give advanced warning of Qfly movements.
“South Australia’s multi-million dollar horticultural industry is too important to the state’s economy to risk, so I welcome the Minister’s funding commitment,” Rebekha said.
“Last week I called on the Commonwealth to at least match the State’s Government’s $5 million investment so we can make a difference to the policing of border crossings.
“However, we need to do so much more to strengthen biosecurity in South Australia so I look forward to learning more about the finer details of a national package of measures.
“I also remain firmly of the belief that South Australia needs an insurance policy and we need a fumigation and irradiation facility based in our state.”
Rebekha is also supporting industry calls for the Federal Government to commit to:
- A national fruit fly strategy implementing control and eradication measures across SA with the goal to eradicate QFly and MedFly in SA and push MedFly back to WA and QFly back into NSW and Victoria.
- Measures to push fruit fly back through the Sunraysia and out of Southern Victoria and into NSW and beyond.
- The eradication of MedFly activity in WA.
- The establishment of a national Pest Free Area south of an agreed degree of latitude.
“The Government could find $20 million for Tasmania for fruit fly controls when there was a major outbreak their state last year. South Australia needs a matching commitment.
“South Australia is a buffer state for QFly outbreaks in the east and MedFly from the west and reports of fruit fly infestations are on the rise in metropolitan Adelaide so we need a strong biosecurity plan,” Rebekha said.