Rebekha launches next round of community forums
Federal Member for Mayo Rebekha Sharkie is holding her second round of community consultation forums since first taking office in 2016.
The 21 events criss-cross the electorate during March and include forums for the new elector areas of Sellicks, Aldinga Beach, Hawthorndene and Craigburn Farm.
The forums follow on from the first series in 2017 when more than 1500 people attended 16 events after filling in about 4000 surveys as part of the largest community consultations ever conducted by an elected MP in the electorate.
These events and the surveys resulted in the production of Rebekha's Community Forum and First Year Report.
“Thanks to the input from our community, I have concentrated on making Mayo a healthier, safer and more connected place to live,” Rebekha said.
“I’ve introduced legislation to ensure the Parliament debates finance reforms for mum and dad farmers, the recovery of unpaid superannuation, accurate labelling of free-range eggs, staffing ratios in aged care facilities and the longevity of battery storage in our mobile phone towers.
“I’ve successfully lobbied for millions of dollars in local road funding as well as more funding for youth mental health and drug rehabilitation services plus a Medicare customer service centre on the South Coast and a Medicare-rebatable MRI service in the Hills.
“And I continue my fight for better mobile phone coverage, better public transport options, more road funding, environmental protections for the Great Australian Bight and real action to address climate change.
“But now, due to the Australian Electoral Commission electoral redistribution in South Australia, Mayo will be a much larger seat going into the 2019 Federal Election.
“We need a new round of community forums to include the input of more than 14,000 new electors and to encourage all residents to contribute to an action plan going into a new election cycle.
“To date, more than 500 people from the new areas of Sellicks, Aldinga Beach, Hawthorndene and Craigburn Farm have filled in our community survey.
“I look forward to connecting with these communities and encouraging all the people of Mayo to contribute to an action plan for our region.”
Details about the forums are available at www.rebekhasharkie.com.au/forums
The forums are being held at:
- Goolwa - Tuesday March 5, 10am-11.30am
- Victor Harbor - Tuesday March 5, 2pm-3.30pm
- Strathalbyn - Tuesday March 5, 6.30pm-8pm
- Milang - Wednesday March 6, 2pm-3.30pm
- Macclesfield - Wednesday March 6, 6.30pm-8pm
- Lobethal - Thursday March 7, 2pm-3.30pm
- Uraidla - Thursday March 7, 6.30pm-8pm
- Aldinga - Tuesday March 12, 6.30pm-8pm
- Yankalilla - Wednesday March 13, 10am-11.30am
- Cape Jervis - Wednesday March 13, 2.30pm-4pm
- American River - Thursday March 14, 9.30am-11am
- Penneshaw - Thursday March 14, 1pm-2.30pm
- Kingscote - Thursday March 14, 6.30pm-8pm
- Mount Barker - Tuesday March 19, 6.30pm
- Mount Compass - Thursday March 21, 10am-11.30am
- McLaren Vale - Thursday March 21, 6.30pm-8pm
- Houghton - Monday March 25, 6.30pm-8pm
- Coromandel Valley - Tuesday March 26, 6.30pm-8pm
- Nairne - Wednesday March 27, 6.30pm
- Stirling - Thursday March 28, 6.30pm-8pm
To download the list click here