Animal welfare issues such as free range egg labelling and live export are regularly raised with me in our community.
Like so many Australians, I was horrified by the video footage that showed the inhumane treatment of sheep in the long-haul live export trade.
I agree that long-haul live export of sheep is cruel and I have advocated for it to be phased out, with an orderly transition to allow farmers who rely on the live export market for their livelihoods the time to adjust.
- Helped to facilitate the compromise legislation put forward by the Hon Sussan Ley MP that had broad-spectrum support across the Parliament
- Spoke on Ms Ley's Bill in the Parliament calling for an end to the long-haul live sheep export
- Now that Ms Ley's Bill has lapsed, I intend to reintroduce her Bill into the House of Representatives
- Introduced a Private Member's Bill on free range egg labelling aligns with consumer expectations
Speeches in Parliament:
- Animal Export Legislation Amendment (Ending Long-haul Live Sheep Exports) Bill 2018 (10 September 2018)
- Competition and Consumer Amendment (Free Range Eggs) Bill 2018 [Private Member's Bill] (12 February 2008)